News

Fire Safety message from the board

Posted: 9/8/2015 4:28pm

 

Dear Neighbors:

Early this summer, we had another house fire in Chemeketa Park.  We are very lucky that the fire was able to be contained to the building of origin. The homeowner was at home when the incident occurred and promptly called 9 1 1. Thus enabling our local fire agencies to quickly respond to the residential structure fire before the situation spread to surrounding homes and vegetation. The Santa Clara County Fire Department and CalFire responded with eight engines, three Battalion Chiefs, a fire investigator and Copter 106, from the Alma Fire Station. Copter 106 dropped several hundred gallons of water when fire spread to a tree next to the home.  We are truly grateful to our local fire departments for their fast response and valiant efforts.

While it is true that summer is almost over, we are still in the midst of a record-breaking drought and one of the worst fire seasons in our state.s history.  The vegetation is extremely dry, and we need to continue to take measures to ensure that we are fire safe.  To that end, the Board is working with the Santa Clara Fire Safety Council to have brush removed from areas of the park.  Also, many neighbors have taken steps to improve the defensible space on their own properties.  (Information about defensible space can be found at www.fire.ca.gov.)

While these fire safe efforts are encouraging, there have been recent reports to the Board that indicate a disturbing trend.  Many neighbors report seeing individuals in the Park disposing of cigarette butts in an unsafe manner.  We ask that you please be careful when smoking, barbecuing, or engaging in any activity that has the potential to create sparks. 

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to any member of the Board.  Thank you for your continued efforts to keep Chemeketa Park safe!



Back